The Great Debate: Dog-Sitters vs Boarding Kennels?July 4, 2022
Top 10 Considerations When Boarding Your DogAugust 11, 2022
Summer Activities Your Dog Will Love
Welcome to summer! A perfect time for fun in the sun for you and your pups, but how best to spend that quality time? What happens when you need to go out of town for a bit and have to leave your dog at boarding? How can you best keep your canine entertained and active? Fret not, we at Prestonwood Kennels are here with the answers for how to keep it cool and hang in the Houston heat.
Let’s face it, sometimes the heat is just too much here in Houston! If it’s one of those crazy hot days and, for the safety of your pet, you have to stay inside, try out some of these indoor activities.
- Puppy/Parent Spa Day: Like all of us, dogs deserve to have a nice, relaxing day where they get pampered! You and your pup can do massages (well, you can give your pup a massage), do some gentle stretching together, and just relax together…maybe have some tasty cucumbers as a bonus after the massage.
- Treat Hide-and-Seek: A good way to keep your fur baby entertained and mentally alert is to play a little game of hide-and-seek with their favorite treats. Find a way to tuck your pup away for a few minutes while you hide the treats, then release the hounds! Show them where you hid the first couple and then let them roam. To keep it fun, you can time your pet to see how they do.
- Obstacle Course: If you need a challenge for your dog but have limited space, try creating an obstacle course! Use whatever you have at your disposal to build increasingly elaborate courses for your dog to see how they handle it. You can use pillows, stairs, open boxes, furniture, and anything else you want to make all kinds of spaces for them to explore and maneuver. Reward with treats as you go to help train your pup’s brain to keep trying.
Sometimes you find yourself having to take a trip without your little furry love. You can always hire a pet sitter, but why not give dog boarding a try? Prestonwood Kennels here in Houston offers a full resort-style home away from home to keep your dog happy and healthy while you’re away. A quality boarding facility will provide fun, affection, and enrichment to your doggy. Some of these that Prestonwood provides are playtime, tummy rubs and quality time with one of our staff members, pool time, walks, and social time!
If the weather is just perfect, you can easily find some fun outdoors for you and your dog. Here are some suggestions for outdoor activities here in Houston.
- Hit up a restaurant: You’ll find that many restaurants and breweries in Houston welcome our furry little friends. You and your best bud can find a place to hang out, grab a bite and a drink, and people watch.
- Parks and Nature Centers: Parks and nature trails are always a great outdoor activity for you and your dog. Whether it’s an official dog park like Kinder Large Dog Run or Harriet & Joe Foster Small Dog Run or just a regular park for everyone, your pet will be able to run and play with you! If you visit somewhere like the Arboretum, you can wander through, with a leash, and enjoy the views.
- Beach Day: If you and your dog love sun and surf, then plan a day trip to the beach! Bring plenty of water and snacks for the two of you, and all the rest of your doggy necessities (leash, life vest, poop bags, etc.), and enjoy some time playing on the beach! Do be sure to check the beach rules for pets before going out there.
Summer is a great time to enjoy extra time with your furry family members, and with a little bit of planning, you can make it an exciting and fun time for everyone! Whether inside or outside or separated for a bit, you can make sure that your dog stays active and healthy mentally and physically this summer. Check out Prestonwood Kennels for all your boarding needs!